Thanks to all the students and parents that attended the information session on our region’s Youth Apprenticeship opportunities on February 2 at Trident Technical College. Attendees got to hear about youth apprenticeships available in 15 career pathways from over 100 local companies!
Over 100 employers in the Charleston region are offering rising high school juniors, seniors, and graduating seniors the opportunity to Get Paid to Learn as youth apprentices.
Youth apprentices will receive paid on-the-job training along with classroom instruction as dual-credit students through TTC’s Workforce Academies.
Thanks to the support of the Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce, students in the youth apprenticeship program receive a scholarship worth approximately $6000 to cover all tuition and costs for apprenticeship-related college courses at TTC.
Apprenticeship opportunities are available in the following local careers:
- Industrial Mechanics
- Machine Tool Technology
- Culinary Arts
- Hotel Operations
- EMT (open only to rising and graduating seniors)
- Medical Office Assistant
- Computer Networking
- Junior Computer Programming
- Civil CAD Technician
- Automotive Mechanic
- Air Conditioning and Refrigeration/HVAC
- Security/Pre-Law Enforcement *
* In South Carolina, law enforcement officers must be at least 21 years of age. This apprenticeship equips students for employment as private security officers, and prepares them to continue their education and training at the police academy.
Students who participate in and complete the two-year program will receive:
- Two years of paid employment and mentoring from an industry professional
- A high school diploma (if not already granted)
- One year of college credit from TTC free of charge
- A completion certificate for coursework that may be applied to an associate degree
- National credentials from the U.S. Department of Labor
- Two years of work experience
- Marketable skills for life
Youth Apprenticeship Participation Requirements
- To be eligible for a youth apprenticeship, a student must:
- Be a rising junior, senior or graduating senior
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Achieve qualifying ACCUPLACER Placement Test scores*
- Demonstrate academic readiness and responsibility
- Have reliable transportation to work and to school
- Be legally able to work in the U.S.
To start the application process, students must complete and submit all sections of the Youth Apprenticeship Application Packet, including proof of qualifying placement test scores. To schedule an appointment at the TTC Testing Center, call 843.574.6410.
For more information or for the application package, please visit this website: http://www.tridenttech.edu/career/workforce/car_youth_apprenticeships.htm